The Moapa Band of Paiute Indians resides on the
Moapa River Reservation. We are a recognized Indian
tribe organized under a Constitution approved by the
Secretary of the Interior on April 17, 1942.
The tribal lands originally set aside in 1874
consisted of two million acres, but in 1876 it was
reduced to a thousand acres. In December 1980, under
the Carter Administration, an additional 70,000
acres were provided. The current total land base is
The tribe’s primary business enterprise centers on
the Moapa Paiute Travel Plaza, which includes a
casino, convenience store, cafe, gas station, and firework store with
the largest and most
comprehensive selection of
fireworks in the West.
Council governs the tribe.
Moapa Valley is the prehistoric flood plain of the
Muddy River, which flows through the valley and
drains into Lake Mead. The region surrounding the
reservation is famous for its sandstone rock
formations. Nearby Valley of Fire is a sacred area.
Coal is the
dirtiest energy source - laced with mercury,
arsenic, lead and other toxics. As it’s burned it
creates significant problems for our health. These
contaminants billow out of smokestacks right next to
Moapa Paiute tribal lands. Toxic dust called coal
ash picks up from the landfills and slag ponds of
the coal-fired Reid Gardner Power Station and heads
toward the reservation like a sandstorm. Watch this
video to find out about this threat to the Moapa
AN ILL WIND, the secret threat of coal ash.